Three Feared Dead In Anambra Cult Clash

Forum 2 weeks ago

Three Feared Dead In Anambra Cult Clash

Three people have been feared dead as suspected rival cult groups clashed on Sunday in Awka, Anambra State capital.

Although details of casualties were still sketchy, it was gathered from residents and passers-by that one of the attacks occurred in the presence of traders at Eke Awka market.

The sources in the area said two tricycles were pursuing themselves recklessly along Ziks Avenue, Eke Awka before one of them got stuck.

One of the sources said, “Some boys alighted from the tricycle and started pursuing themselves and in the process started firing gunshots.

“They were pursuing themselves. At around Eke Awka market, the tricycle at the front got stuck in the traffic, and one boy inside it alighted and started running.

“Two boys in the tricycle behind also jumped down and pursued him. He ran towards Parker area along Ziks Avenue, and diverted onto a road by the right, into a mechanic workshop.

“The boys pursued him into the place, dragged him out and shot him dead. The incident caused pandemonium, and people were just running in all directions. For me, I didn’t even know I could run that fast.”

When contacted on the development, the Spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said there was no such information before the command.

A similar incident happened last Sunday, which was Easter day when no fewer than six persons were reportedly killed in the area

It was gathered that the rising cult clashes which have been a recurring decimal are being fuelled by the struggle for control of revenue accruing from tricycle and shuttle bus operators, through tickets, emblems and others.

The rising cult clashes in the area have become a worrisome development for security operatives and residents.

The Commissioner of Police in Anambra, CP Aderemi Adeoye, had during an interactive session with members of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Anambra State chapter, on Thursday, expressed worry on the development.

The CP, who was represented on the occasion by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, DCP Akin Fakorede, had said, “Could you imagine that the cultists we arrested, charged to court, and got remanded in prison custody, that some powerful locals are going to the Judiciary to lobby to get them released? And some have been released. And they are the ones unleashing this mayhem again! That is number one…”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham

New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement
Forum | 2 days ago

New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 3 days ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel